MTA book club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL)

4 posters

Go down

The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL) Empty The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL)

Post  Bailey Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Disscussion of The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory.

Last edited by Bailey on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bailey
Bailey
Goosebumps

https://mta-bookclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL) Empty Umm... GROSS!

Post  einsteinkitty Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:33 pm

So I just started reading this and I think I'm only on page 30 or so, but I have to say how grossed out I am at King Henry's truly "pedophilic" behavior toward a 14-year-old girl! And I hate that her family, including her husband, just offer her up like a little gift to him b/c they want to "better" themselves. It's disgusting. Sick Am I supposed to be so upset or am I supposed to accept it for what it was at the time and think, "Oh, that was an acceptable marrying age and they were just more mature then"? What do you guys think?
einsteinkitty
einsteinkitty
Sheep In A Jeep

Back to top Go down

The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL) Empty Re: The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL)

Post  lanilou Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:06 pm

I agree with you at first I was totally freaked out but I am really enjoying the book and I think it is really good. But yes I don't really think it's right that her family just gave her away and that her husband was ok with it. All thought at age 14 my self I couldn't even begin to imagine having a husband and doing all of the other stuff that he is doing with her.

Thanks, Delani
Lani Lou

lanilou
Where The Wild Things Are

Back to top Go down

Post  lanilou Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:15 pm

I Just finished the book and I loved it in a twisted kind of way. I thought it was great but there was some VERY different things compare to what we do. BUt I still loved the book.

lanilou
Where The Wild Things Are

Back to top Go down

The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL) Empty Thoughts

Post  Hemi'sMom Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:06 pm

I am in the process of reading the book right now (1/2 way through) one of the things that strikes me is how different it is from the movie. So if you are afraid you won't like it because you have seen the movie don't worry it is very, very, very different and much more detailed.

I am horrified that there were all these people that their only purpose was to please the King that just seems so weird to me. It also seems strange they had children and then gave them away (to the French court or to servants to raise) I felt so bad Mary had to give her children up. Then what about her sister just up and adopting her son without her permission. I know that this is based on a lot of history it just seems so weird to me that people lived like that. I am thankful for my freedom to speak my mind, marry who I want to and keep my children!!

From a History perspective was it Anne's daughter that then became Queen of England?? Why not Mary (the Spanish Queen's daughter?) Does anyone know? I have to admit I am not up on my European History--

I also can't believe the Spanish Queen had to endure all she did too--She must have been an incredibly patient woman.
Hemi'sMom
Hemi'sMom
Harold And The Purple Crayon

Back to top Go down

The Other Boleyn Girl (GENERAL) Empty UMM Gross Reply

Post  Hemi'sMom Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:13 pm

I am wondering if being married at 14 was normal because life spans were shorter--For example in the book the Queen goes through menopause really really early compared to woman in this day and age. There was also a lot of sickness and death, perhaps being physically mature (i.e. having your period) meant you were old enough to get married--since the only purpose of that seemed to be to procreate and had very little to do with love?? Who knows it seems very odd to me when reading the book I often picture the girls much older (like my age) rather than 14.
Hemi'sMom
Hemi'sMom
Harold And The Purple Crayon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down